Guy Messick's Roast
Kirk Drake, Brian Lauer and some of Guy Messick’s closest friends have been working on an amazing plan to recognize Guy. In many ways, Guy is the father of CUSOs. Over his career he has helped establish over 500 CUSOs in the United States and paved the way for credit unions to uniquely leverage their balance sheets while deriving new
sources of net income. Guy retired from Messick Lauer & Smith in December 2020 and we want to throw him a great virtual SURPRISE retirement party.
This is an invitation only event that will include a virtual wine tasting. For those requesting wine, please RSVP by Monday, January 18th, to ensure wine deliveries are received by the event date.
Date/Time: Friday, January 29, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m. PST / 7:00 p.m. EST
- The Surprise: In order to pull off the surprise, Guy thinks he is joining a NACUSO zoom meeting (we have a plan to stall him for a few minutes). We will allow guests in the zoom meeting before he logs in, so please make sure to log on a few minutes early, so you don’t miss the actual surprise.
- On Video: Although being on video is optional, we encourage each of you to enhance the intimacy of this online party by having your video turned ON! It would be great if everyone’s video is at least turned on in the beginning, so that Guy can get a view of all of his guests.
- Please Mute: Please keep yourself muted during the main event to avoid audio feedback... we don’t want to hear any of your dogs barking at the neighbors.
- Wine Shipments: For those who requested wine, please know every effort was made to have your shipment arrive by Friday. If for some reason your package didn’t arrive in time, please just choose your favorite beverage, enjoy the evening and know that your wine is on the way.
- Sharing Stories: Towards the end of the event, we will allow time for those who wish to say a few words to Guy or share a brief story. We have over 130+ guests planning to attend, so we ask that you keep your well wishes to just a minute or two.
- Social Media: If you happen to take photos of the event or post anything on social media, be sure to use the #GuysRoastandToast. This will let Guy, as well as the participants, enjoy everyone’s enthusiastic posts!
- Techie Issues: If you find yourself running into technical difficulties during the event, we have designated CU 2.0 Moderators to help you out via the chat function.
The evening’s Roasting Panel will include credit union industry greats: Mike Atkins, Mike Corn, Ray Crouse, Kirk Drake, Jim Giacobbe, Brian Lauer, Vic Pantea, Jeff Russell, Steve Salzer, Bruno Sementilli, Valorie Seyfert and Mark Zook.
A very special thanks to these sponsoring organizations who contributed to making this event happen:
Capstone, CO-OP Financial Services, CU Direct, CU Realty Services, CU*Answers, CUNA Mutual Group, CUSO Financial Services, Dollar Associates, LenderClose, Messick Lauer & Smith PC, Michigan Business Connection, NACUSO, Ongoing Operations, Open Technology Solutions, PSCU, Resistance Wine Company, Trellance, United Solutions Company and Vizo Financial Corporate Credit Union.
About Guy Messick
Guy is a partner with the law firm Messick Lauer & Smith P.C. Guy has provided legal and strategic planning services to credit unions and credit union service organizations nationwide for over 30 years. Since 1987, he has served as General Counsel to the National Association of Credit Union Service Organizations where he serves as the liaison with the National Credit Union Administration. Guy has regular contact with the NCUA board and staff on industry wide policy issues. Guy has presented at conferences sponsored by NACUSO, NCUA, NAFCU, NASCUS, CUNA, CUES, ACUMA, AICPA and various State Leagues. He is a nationally recognized expert in the formation, governance and operation of credit union service organizations.
In addition to his work with CUSOs, Guy helps credit unions with loan participations, business lending, mergers and client advocacy with NCUA and state credit union regulators. Guy helps his clients vet innovative ideas with the regulators and advocate their position if there is an examination issue. Guy’s experience has enabled him to acquire knowledge of best practices in credit union collaborations and working with vendors. He is often called upon to facilitate strategic planning sessions for credit unions interested in generating net income and with CUSOs seeking to expand their services. Guy’s experience and his network of clients and professionals, has enabled Guy to connect his clients with people who can help further their goals.
Guy is a graduate of Bucknell University and the University of Miami Law School. He served as a law clerk to the Honorable Morell E. Sharp (Western District of Washington) from 1977-78. Prior to exclusively serving the credit union industry, Guy represented local municipalities, a chamber of commerce, economic development agencies, and many small businesses. He was also an assistant district attorney. He is a member of the Bars of the Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania and the State of Washington.